View Full Version: Hamby,Angela G.missing October 29,1982

Porchlight International for the Missing & Unidentified > Missing Persons 1982 > Hamby,Angela G.missing October 29,1982

Title: Hamby,Angela G.missing October 29,1982
Description: North Carolina

oldies4mari2004 - August 10, 2006 11:24 PM (GMT)

oldies4mari2004 - December 23, 2006 05:28 AM (GMT)
Angela Gray Hamby

Above: Hamby, circa 1982

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: October 29, 1982 from Wilkesboro, North Carolina
Classification: Endangered Missing
Age: 20 years old
Height and Weight: 5'4, 108 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Dark blonde hair, blue/green eyes.
Clothing Description: A cream-colored v-neck sweater under an orchid-colored button-up sweater, and blue jeans.

Details of Disappearance

Hamby left her home in Wilkesboro, North Carolina on October 29, 1982 to make a car payment. She told her mother she would not be late getting home, as they were planning on going shopping together that evening.
Later that day, Hamby's silver Mazda was found abandoned at Glenn`s Tastee Freeze in Wilkesboro. It had a full tank of fuel and her pocketbook with identification was inside the car, but her keys were gone. Witnesses reported Hamby was seen at 11:30 a.m., driving her car to the location where it was found. She was accompanied by a "rough-looking" blond man at the time, and was talking to him. She has never been heard from again.

Hamby is described as a dependable person who would not have left without telling anyone. Two suspects were investigated for possible involvement in her disappearance in 1987, but they turned out to have been incarcerated at the time of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Wilkes County Sheriff's Department
Wilkesboro Police Department

Source Information
The Doe Network
The Charlotte Observer

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004.

Last updated August 8, 2006; details of disappearance updated.

Charley Project Home

monkalup - March 2, 2008 01:22 PM (GMT)

Ell - June 19, 2008 03:27 PM (GMT)
Missing since October 29, 1982 from Wilkesboro, Wilkes County, NC. DOB: 1962. Age at time of disappearance: 20. Age now: 45. Height: 5'4". Weight: 108lbs. Angela left home to make a car payment. Her mom told her not to be late because they were suppose to go shopping. Angela never returned home. Her car was later discovered with her purse and keys still in it. Angela was thought to have been seen around 11:30am. with a rough looking blond man driving her silver Mazda

Ell - June 19, 2008 03:28 PM (GMT)

monkalup - May 24, 2009 11:53 AM (GMT)

Still looking for Angie

It’s been 25 years since her mysterious disappearance


Record Editor

It’s been nearly 25 years since Angie Hamby disappeared.

Despite the passage of time, “It doesn’t get any easier,” said her father, Jerry Hamby.

Angie vanished on Oct. 29, 1982.

Today, lawmen seem no closer to solving the mystery than they were a quarter of a century ago.

“I would love to have one absolute positive lead, but we, to my knowledge have never had a specific lead that we were able to keep going for any length of time,” said retired State Bureau of Investigation Agent Steve Cabe.

Cabe, now captain over the detectives’ division of the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Department, along with other deputies, and officers from both Wilkesboro and North Wilkesboro police departments, have spent countless hours on the case.

The investigation is in Wilkesboro Police Department’s jurisdiction since the last trace of Angie – her silver sports car – was found there in a restaurant parking lot. The case is being reviewed by Wilkesboro Police Det. Tommy Rhodes.

Cabe, who has consulted with Rhodes on the case, said cold case files take a while to digest.

“You have to read through it sentence by sentence. And, this file is massive,” Cabe said. “But I’m enthusiastic to have a fresh set of eyes looking at it. This could offer a new perspective to the investigation.”

After 25 years, nothing, not a trace of the young woman has ever been found. Theories and suspects have arisen, but those have all been either discounted or cleared. “The leads just dried up,” Cabe said.

Still, “Someone out there knows what happened,” said Angie’s mother, Shirley, in a previous interview with The Record.

“I just want to know what happened,” said Jerry during a Monday interview with The Record. “Good or bad, I want to know, although I can’t imagine how it would be good.”

Angela Gray Hamby, known by Angie to her family and friends, disappeared on a sunny autumn day. She was 20 at the time and had taken that Friday off from her second-shift job at the then Northwestern Bank’s data processing department on Oakwoods Road.

She had worked for the bank before she graduated from West Wilkes High School in 1980. Afterward, she had enrolled in classes at Wilkes Community College and hoped to transfer to Appalachian State University. Between work and school, the young woman stayed busy and probably looked forward to the off time.

Shirley had also taken the day off from her job at Benson & Blevins. The two had planned an out-of-town shopping trip.

Angie had dressed in jeans, a scallop-necked sweater and sandals with socks. She wore a gold add-a-bead chain around her neck. On a finger was a new diamond and sapphire ring she had bought at Burke’s Jewelry, where her sister, Cheryl, worked on Main Street in North Wilkesboro.

Family members retraced what they believed where her last known activities.

Before the trip, Angie had planned to run some errands. Her silver 1980 model Mazda RX7 was nearly empty on gas, so she first planned to stop and buy fuel, likely at the Wilco on U.S. 421 West. She also needed to make a car payment. Since she and her mother used the same bank — NCNB (now the location of North Wilkesboro Town Hall) — Shirley asked her make a deposit for her. After that, Angie planned to deliver a message to her sister just up the street from the bank, then drive back home to leave for the shopping trip.

Angie had left home around 9:30 a.m. “I told her to hurry back and that I’d be waiting,” Shirley said. The Hambys live on Pads Road; therefore Angie would have likely cut across on Dancy Road and then onto 421 to get gas. From there she would have taken the bypass into Downtown North Wilkesboro.

Former Wilkesboro Police Chief Gary Parsons (who was a patrol sergeant in 1982) told the family that he spotted Angie in her silver sports car a short while later near Winn Dixie.

During this time, Shirley had gotten ready to leave. She hadn’t expected Angie’s trip to take long. But as the morning slipped away, she started to worry.

“By 12 o’clock, I was really upset,” Shirley said. “I just had a bad feeling. I called the bank and they said she hadn’t been there yet. Then I called Cheryl and she hadn’t seen her, either. I knew something was wrong then.”

Shirley left to go looking for her daughter. She searched Downtown North Wilkesboro, but there was no sign of Angie.

“I thought maybe she had met some of her friends and started talking,” Shirley said. “But for her not to come back when she was supposed to, that was totally out of character for her. She was always dependable. She would always call me and let me know.”

Afternoon faded to evening, and still there was no word from Angie.

Her father, Jerry, had taken a vacation from his job at Carolina Mirror to go deer hunting in South Carolina. He found a message waiting for him when he returned to the motel just after dark. After a phone call home, “I cut out right then,” he said.

In the meantime, Shirley waited and worried. Around 1 a.m., she received a call from the Wilkesboro Police Department. Angie’s car had been found in the parking lot of Glenn’s Tastee Freez. When Shirley arrived at the restaurant and looked at the car, things seemed odd right away. The doors were unlocked, and the car was parked near the rear of the building beside some dumpsters.

Strangest of all, Angie’s pocketbook was still in the vehicle. Inside the purse were personal items, including her driver’s license. But, no money was found. The keys to the car were also gone. A group of officers stood around the car.

Cabe was among those officers.

He would come to know the Hamby family well over the next weeks, months and years.

monkalup - May 24, 2009 11:57 AM (GMT)

an older article
More leads
In Hamby case

Record Record Editor

More leads are developing in the Angie Hamby case. Capt. Steve Cabe of the Wilkes County Sheriff’s Department said he and other investigators are checking information on five men. They want to see if any of them could be connected with Hamby’s Oct. 29, 1982 disappearance. A lead on a sixth man has already been ruled out, Cabe said. A recent series in The Record about the case has caused the new leads to come in, Cabe said. The publication of the stories and a composite drawing of a suspect prompted phone calls from readers who gave Cabe two names earlier this month. Last week, four more names were added to the list of possible leads, Cabe said. Two others had been called in two weeks ago. Last week, four new names were added to the list, Cabe said. One man was eliminated as a possible lead last week, Cabe said. “The sheriff and I took care of that one Friday afternoon.” Cabe has been tight-lipped about the names callers have given him. Three of the six men, Cabe said, have criminal records. One is for an assault and another for breaking and entering and larceny, he said. State Bureau of Investigation agents are checking information on another man, who also has a criminal record. “I’ll not divulge information about his record because that would narrow the field too much,” Cabe said Monday. Hamby was 20 when she disappeared. She had left her home on Pads Road to run errands in downtown North Wilkesboro. She was to return a short time later and go shopping with her mother.

Around noon that day, when Hamby didn’t return, her mother called police. Her silver Mazda RX7 was found in the parking lot of Glenn’s Tastee Freez in Wilkesboro around 12:30 a.m. the next morning. Hamby’s pocketbook, containing driver’s license and other I.D. was found in the vehicle. Car keys and cash were missing, Cabe said. An employee at Glenn’s told investigators she saw a man and a woman in a silver car in the parking lot of the restaurant. That was around noon, day of Hamby’s disappearance. That woman gave officers the description from which the composite drawing was made. Some of the new leads have more potential than others, Cabe said. “One is iffy at best because we don’t have anything we can narrow down on it,” he said. “It’s a common name. I’ll have to check some old records and hopefully narrow it down.” Another of the recent calls “was someone who had been following the case since 1982. They were talking more of a speculative nature,” Cabe said. “But it was nothing ironclad, nothing specific.” Still another call came from neighboring Alexander County. “They were one of the ones who gave me a name,” he said. Cabe said he’s glad to get the new leads after the case has been nearly dormant for so many years. “We’re all of the opinion that it never hurts to get information,” he said. “That’s how we operate. You never know. It could create a lead that could be fruitful.”

Hosted for free by zIFBoards