View Full Version: Miller,Julianne missing September 22,1982

Porchlight International for the Missing & Unidentified > Missing Persons 1982 > Miller,Julianne missing September 22,1982

Title: Miller,Julianne missing September 22,1982
Description: Connecticut

oldies4mari2004 - August 10, 2006 08:45 PM (GMT)

oldies4mari2004 - December 23, 2006 03:57 PM (GMT)
Julianne Miller

Above: Miller, circa 1982

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: September 22, 1982 from Old Saybrook, Connecticut
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: July 18, 1955
Age: 27 years old
Height and Weight: 5'6, 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, possibly blue eyes. Some agencies spell Miller's name "Julieanne."

Details of Disappearance

Miller was a graduate student at the University Of Hartford and worked part-time at a day care center in 1982. She lived with her boyfriend, James Clayton, in a cottage on Clinton Avenue in Old Saybrook, Connecticut. The couple had been together since 1981 and shared a passion for karate, in which Clayton held a black belt. Miller's father transferred ownership of the cottage to his daughter sometime in 1981; Miller then added Clayton's name to half of the property.
Miller picked up a quit claim deed on September 20, 1982 in hopes of having Clayton sign away his property rights. She apparently no longer wanted him to claim ownership. Miller was last seen at approximately 10:00 p.m. on September 21, 1982 in the living room of the cottage. One of the two tenants she and Clayton had at the residence reported that Miller and Clayton were sitting on the living room couch watching television together at that time. The tenant stated that they seemed to be having an argument and tension was palpable in the air. Miller was never seen by anyone other than Clayton afterwards.

A witness told police that the furniture in Miller's cottage had been rearranged after her disappearance. Some couch cushions were missing. Clayton told told the witness that he had sent the cushions to the dry cleaner's.

The official date listed as Miller's disappearance is the following day, September 22. Clayton did not report her missing to the authorities; Miller's father returned from a vacation on September 29 to discover she was nowhere to be found and called police. When questioned, Clayton claimed that he didn't want to cause trouble for Miller by reporting her as missing. He stated that her father requested she remain at the cottage during his trip and keep an eye on things. Clayton claimed that he last saw Miller enter a brown pickup truck driven by an African-American male on September 22, 1982. The authorities found his statement odd, given that Clayton is African-American and owned an identical vehicle. Miller left her car, dog and purse at the cottage. Investigators found the quit claim deed for the residence inside her purse, but Clayton had not signed it. Many believed that the couple had an argument the night Miller's tenant last saw her and the fight revolved around the property.

Clayton reportedly began calling Miller's parents late at night for months after her disappearance. Her father never mentioned what was discussed during the conversations, but other relatives said that her family was frightened. Clayton requested that the two tenants move out of the cottage a few weeks after Miller vanished. Police administered polygraph tests to both tenants and they passed. Clayton refused to take a lie detector test.

Blood was discovered on the cushions and springs of the living room couch in the Old Saybrook cottage, but DNA testing was not available in 1982. Investigators were unable to determine if the blood matched Miller's type at the time. Clayton told them the blood was from a dog. Portions of the living room carpet had white spots present, signaling the possibility that someone had cleaned the spaces with a bleaching product to remove stains. Miller's family reported that her grandmother's wedding ring was missing, along with several other pieces of fine jewelry. The ring was recovered at a pawn shop in New Haven, Connecticut several months after Miller's disappearance. Clayton's brother reportedly sold the item.

Authorities named Clayton as the prime suspect in Miller's disappearance before the end of 1982, but he was never charged in connection with the case. They believe he murdered Miller at the cottage, then buried her body somewhere on the property, which extends near the Deep River and borders the Cockaponset State Forest in Connecticut.

In May 2002, Clayton was convicted in military court of attempted murder and sentenced to five years in prison. He was a captain in the Army medical corps and was stationed in Schofield Barracks in Honolulu, Hawaii in November 2001, when prosecutors say he fractured a military officer's skull with a hammer during a robbery attempt. Clayton says he blacked out and could not remember the incident. He is currently incarcerated in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

After his conviction, investigators began again to try to link Clayton to Miller's disappearance. They re-interviewed witnesses and began re-testing the blood on the couch for DNA. He has not been charged in connection with her case, however, and it remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Connecticut State Police
Old Saybrook Police Department

Source Information
The Hartford Courant
Connecticut Division of Criminal Justice
The New Haven Register

Updated 4 times since October 12, 2004.

Last updated September 3, 2006; date of birth, height and weight added, distinguishing characteristics updated.

Charley Project Home

monkalup - March 28, 2010 02:13 PM (GMT)

monkalup - March 28, 2010 02:19 PM (GMT)
Julieanne Miller - September 1982 - Old Saybrook - $50,000 REWARD

On September 29, 1982, Julieanne Miller was reported missing to the Old Saybrook Police Department by her father, who is now deceased.

Ms. Miller was last seen at her residence in the company of her boyfriend on September 22, 1982. She is presumed dead but her body has not been recovered.

The State of Connecticut is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in this case.

monkalup - March 28, 2010 02:26 PM (GMT)

New hope of solving 'cold case'

Published: Thursday, July 25, 2002

No comments posted. | Email to a friend | Print version | ShareThis | RSS Feeds

By Walt Platteborze

Morano heads the state's 4-year-old "cold case squad," a shifting coalition of state and local police and prosecutors that resurrects unsolved murders. The disappearance of Julianne Miller on Sept. 22, 1982, from her South Cove neighborhood residence, is not officially labeled a murder, but authorities believe Miller, 27, was killed and her body disposed of somewhere.

What buoys Morano's outlook about this case is how well the squad has done recently on other high-profile cases. "Cold-case units have had a lot of success in the last year," he said.

He pointed to convictions in the last few months of Edward Grant, 59, of Waterbury, in the 1973 murder of Concetta "Penney" Serra in a downtown New Haven parking garage; of Nicole Pelletier, 41, of New Brunswick, Canada, as an accessory in the 1989 murder of her husband, Olidor, in Plymouth; and of Michael Skakel, 41, in the 1975 bludgeoning murder of 15-year-old Martha Moxley in Greenwich.

Morano said he couldn't give any specifics on the status of the Miller case, but added, "we hope to be able to say more in the near future � as we tie up loose ends."

The cold case unit, working with Old Saybrook police, took on the Miller case last fall.

Authorities say James Clayton, 48, Miller's live-in boyfriend at the time of her disappearance, remains the prime suspect. Clayton told police he saw Miller leave the morning of Sept. 22 in a pickup truck driven by a man.

Miller's father, the late Carlton Miller of Deep River, reported his daughter missing to police on Sept.

29. Clayton allegedly told investigators he didn't report his girlfriend's disappearance because he thought that would jeopardize her chances of getting a job with state police.

Cushions were missing from a couch in the residence. They were never recovered, but police said they found specks of blood on the couch springs.

With the perfection of DNA technology, authorities are now able to seek analysis of the blood to see if there is a DNA match with the missing woman.

Old Saybrook police Detective Sgt. Eugean Heiney said the cold case squad is awaiting results from testing being done at a laboratory in Pennsylvania. They hope that such physical evidence could lead to an arrest.

Some months ago, local and state police conducted a search of woods in Deep River that had been owned by the Miller family. Morano said he could not comment on the results of that search.

Meanwhile, authorities are able to keep close tabs on Clayton, 48, who is doing five years in the U.S.

Army prison in Fort Leavenworth, Kan., for attempted murder.

Clayton, a captain in the Army medical corps, was found guilty on April 11 of attacking a fellow officer and friend with a hammer during an alleged robbery attempt in Hawaii, where the two were stationed.

Heiney said Connecticut law enforcement agencies have been in contact with the Army's Office of Judge Advocate to glean information on the attempted-murder case that might be helpful in the Miller probe, and also intend to interview the victim.

Hosted for free by zIFBoards